Friday, May 14, 2004

Useless Mutant Ability #1554

UMA: #1554 - Ability to discern make/model of vehicles within 0.2 milliseconds of seeing them.

I must say that I can probably pick out the make/model of nearly any vehicle on the road simply by glancing at them. Is this a guy thing? It's not like I frequently spend my free time loitering in car lots. It's not like I sit down with a pile of car magazines and stare intently at every car listed to memorize them. It's not even remotely close that I have a list of cars that I don't recognize right off the bat that I need to improve my memory on. I just find myself driving around and noticing that I can pretty much instantly tell you what any car is that you see. Yes, my powers of vehicle recognition are keen.

And the scary thing is that I sometimes play a game where I try to name every car that I see. Yes, Cliff has truly gone off the deep end when he's reciting makes/models of cars to himself.

That's why when Jen told me one of the ladies from church bought a new SUV but couldn't tell me anything about it that I was truly astounded. "What make is it?" I interrogated her. That way if she said "Chevy", it could have been a Suburban, or a Tahoe, or a Trailblazer. If she said "Ford," it could have been an Explorer, Expedition, or Excursion. Perhaps one of those would jog her memory hard enough to recall what her friend had told her. But she couldn't tell me one detail or even what color it was. Whereas if I saw a friend's new vehicle, even if for a brief instant, or was told about it, I could tell you exactly what it was from that point forward.

Is this seemingly innate useless ability to know stuff about "cars" a guy thing? Or am I just a freak of nature - a mutant, if you will?

No comments:

Post a Comment