Monday, February 14, 2005

Obligatory romance - bah humbug!

According to the National Retail Federation, "the average consumer is cutting back spending for the holiday this year, but more people are planning to celebrate. Average Valentine's Day spending in the federation's survey is expected to be $97.27 per consumer, down from $99.24 last year. But holiday participation rose to 61.8 percent of consumers, up from 59.8 percent a year ago. In all, 2005 Valentine's Day spending is expected to reach $13.19 billion, making it the third-highest spending season of the year behind Christmas and back-to-school."

Egads.

Talk about an *overly* commercialized holiday. Who benefits? Certainly not the loved ones in our lives. It's more certain to be the florists, chocolatiers, and Hallmark stores. I mean, who else in their right mind would purchase flowers that are marked up 500% because they are out of season?

I'm sure most of you are saying, "Why are you so cynical, Cliff? You must have forgotten this year or your wife wasn't pleased with what you got her." Au contraire, mes amis. In fact, I remembered weeks ago, and to be a rebel in the face of retailers shoving their V-day wares in my face, all I got for the two women in my life today was a single red rose and some yummy ice cream, the total cost ($8.23) well below the national average. And they were thrilled and surprised and overjoyed. And I didn't have to spend $97.27. In fact, if you know me, you know that I'm a pretty romantic type of guy when it comes down to it. So for me to say, "Down with Valentine's Day, up with non-obligatory demonstrations of affection," it must mean something, right? I would like to think so.

You want to show your loved ones that you truly love them? Then boycott Valentine's Day. After all, nothing says "I love you" more than *having* to do it on a day when you are *expected* to do it. Instead, do something surprising on one of the other 364 days of the year that will wow and woo them. Guys, do something that the woman in your life normally does when she least expects it. Not today, but someday soon in the near-future, beat her home early from work and do the dishes, and run a bath for her so she can slip into it first thing. Or on a night when she is tired and stressed out, take the kids on an outing and leave her some peace and quiet. Gals, take his car and have it professionally detailed one day when he is sleeping in late. Or find a babysitter for the kiddos and take him on a surprise trip to the driving range.

Trust me. If you do some of these things on any day other than February 14th, it will mean THAT much more because then it's not obligatory romance. You aren't telling your significant other that you love them because you're supposed to. You're telling them because you're not supposed to, and that means infinitely more than the $97.27 that you spent on Valentine's Day.

Now since I didn't meet the national average, what can I buy for myself with the remaining $89.04? ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment