Friday, March 25, 2005

Dropping like flies...

Almost exactly a year ago to this day, I upgraded our digital camera from a craptastic Kodak to a much mo' better Canon A60 for free (thank heavens for Ebay THAT time!) Because it was such a hot deal, I shared it with my officemates and the camera purchasing spread like wildfire. One was bought for the office to replace the Beyond Ancient 640x480 Sony Mavica (which still stored photos on floppys). Other co-workers bought them for their families and themselves.

While highly regarded as one of the best 2.0MP digicams out there, ratings don't mean squat when their longevity has been cut short by Random Acts of Gravity. Within the last month, the office A60 disappeared into some unknown void when some co-workers of mine lost it on site. It'll probably turn up in a couple of eons when aliens discover it in an ancient archaeological dig. One belonging to one of the secretaries decided it wanted to see what bouncing on concrete felt like, and bounced down several concrete stairs. Last I heard it had knocked itself unconscious into a coma that it still hasn't awoken from.

Of course, this meant I've been extra careful with my own personal A60 since They say "accidents always comes in threes", right? Or is it "three is a charm?" In any case, I could just see some misfortune befalling my delicate camera just before we need it for the birth of baby.

I should fear no longer as number three just showed up unexpectedly at my cubicle door, bags in hand. Another co-worker of mine bought an A60 (unbeknownst to me), and she JUST brought it to me to see if I could figure out what was wrong with it. When the display looks like a TV with the worst reception you have ever seen, well, the best you can do then is search its pocket for loose pixels. That camera wouldn't voom if you put 15,000 volts into it! It's passed on. It's met its maker. It's pushing up the daisies. It is no more! (Brownie points to anyone who gets those two references). My guess is that it took a short walk off a long pier, but there's really no way to be sure.

Now that I'm satisfied my camera is in the clear, I'm going to let her out of my safekeeping and let her go see new and unexplored places. After all, if you love them, you've got to set them free, right? Or as Wayne & Garth put it, "If you hurl and she comes back, she's yours. If you blow chunks and she bolts, then it was never meant to be."

What is to be learned from this lesson, grasshopper? Just remember kids, digital cameras should never ever be subjected to acceleration on the order of 9.81 m/s^2 or 32.16 ft/s^2.

No comments:

Post a Comment